We recruit graduate trainees according to the needs of the business at the relevant time. Details of any current vacancies are available on our website, but we welcome speculative applications at any time, and keep them on file for consideration as and when a vacancy arises.
The role involves assisting our team of qualified patent attorneys with all aspects of our practice. Typical duties will include:
- Assistance with drafting and prosecution of patent applications both in the UK and overseas
- Attendance at meetings with client
- Preparation of draft documentation
- General correspondence with clients
- Correspondence with Patent Offices and outside agents, in the UK and overseas
- Research associated with assignments
- Study and summarizing of relevant law, including study of statutes and rules, and decided cases
- Assistance with drafting of opinions on patentability, infringement etc
Internal, business development tasks:
- Preparation of general information for distribution to clients
- Preparation of items for regular newsletter-type communications with clients
- Market research
Candidates will be expected to work towards qualification as a Chartered Patent Agent and European Patent Attorney. Full support and training will be given.
- Candidates should have, or should expect to obtain, at least a good first degree (1st or 2.1) in an appropriate science or engineering subject.
- A high degree of literacy – an ability to express complex technical and legal issues clearly and accurately, particularly in writing.
- Broad knowledge of technology in general.
- Ability to get “up to speed” with new technological concepts quickly and competently.
- Some knowledge of French and/or German would be an advantage.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
- Good communication skills.