We are looking for an enthusiastic engineering or physics graduate (entry level or less than 2 years in the profession) to join our Patent Engineering Group based in our London office. You will work alongside our team of attorneys and fellow trainees to support our clients in the protection of their intellectual property assets. The role encompasses a diverse range of responsibilities and requires a high level of attention to detail and accuracy and the ability to work to deadlines along with being able to receive and act upon feedback on your work. The role will include a lot of direct contact with clients and inventors to discuss their inventions and the best way to protect them, which requires a confident and professional approach to represent HGF and achieve the best for our clients.
The role will be hybrid-working, with the successful candidate expected to be working from our central London office three days per week during their training.
The training process is a challenge (one we hope you’ll relish), we offer exceptional support in helping you get there. This includes access to your own training budget, an internal tutorial program, access to our in house L&D platform and working with qualified attorneys who have a deep understanding of what it is like to be a trainee, having been there and done it in the not so long and distant past. There is so much knowledge you can tap into, including supervision from experienced partners and senior attorneys, supporting you on your journey to full Chartered UK and European qualification.
- Drafting of patent documents for review by manager
- Constructing technical arguments with a view to prosecuting patents
- Working collaboratively and professionally with clients to understand their inventions and how best to protect them
- Progressing through UK and European Patent Attorney Qualification exams alongside work
- Providing support to attorneys as needed
First and foremost you will have a passion for developing a career in intellectual property and hold a 2:1 or above degree in Engineering or a related area such as Physics. Experience (either academically or professionally) in Biomedical engineering/Med-tech would be beneficial as would the ability to speak French to a technical level. Other qualities that will fit the role are:
- Relevant post-degree research/work (e.g., PhD, research, industry experience) would be beneficial
- Technical proficiency in French would be beneficial
- Experience in a professional working environment would be beneficial
- Strong written communication skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Pro-active and strong relationship builder both internally and externally
- Ability to digest and act upon constructive feedback
- Attitude and aptitude to want to develop your skillset
- Personable individual with a client focused and commercial mentality
HGF Limited is one of Europe’s largest intellectual property specialist firms and one of only a few to offer a fully integrated IP solution, bringing over 200 Patent Attorneys, Trade Mark Attorneys and IP Solicitors together to provide a full-service IP solution.
With 22 offices across the UK, Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, France, Switzerland & Austria, HGF’s Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys provide specialist technical and legal advice to blue chip organisations and small to medium businesses across the world. Many of our clients are household names and the work HGF does allows them to protect and exploit their inventions, new products and branding.
Why move to HGF?
- HGF takes a transparent and merit-based approach to your career development and you will have the opportunity to shape your long-term progression.
- We’re a firm with a focus on DEI (Diversity, Equality and Inclusion), with a staff led DEI Focus Group and an DEI Board sponsor
- As a business we have a dedicated Learning and Development team and a digital learning platform for all staff to use
- A competitive salary and benefits package along with a flexible working policy
HGF is committed to promoting an equal, diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all candidates with relevant skills for the role. As part of this recruitment process we are utilising a “blind” CV process at the initial stage of application filtering.
If the above sounds like the opportunity for you, please apply by sending your CV and a covering letter which outlines in no more than 500 words why you would like to pursue a career as a Patent Attorney and an invention or patent related news story you found interesting & why via the link.
- People – People matter. We treat people fairly, with respect and compassion. We foster a friendly, inclusive and enjoyable culture for everyone to prosper in. We invest in our people and offer appropriate coaching and training to assist with development and learning. We promote a healthy work-life balance. Progression is based on merit.
- Excellence – We strive to be the best. We pursue excellence in all our individual roles resulting in outstanding legal and technical advice for our clients. Our people are pragmatic, responsive and commercially minded. We do not presume but listen to understand so we can engage proactively and appropriately.
- Teamwork – We stand together. We work with our clients to protect their interests, and with each other as a mutually supporting firm. We value, appreciate and listen to others, regardless of role, recognising each individual’s particular blend of talent, skill and experience. We are individually and jointly accountable and take responsibility for our actions and decisions.
- Progressive – We innovate. We continually improve our services and processes through understanding, creativity, and investment. We evolve by taking opportunities and adopting new business procedures, unencumbered by historical structures or out-of-date attitudes. As a firm, we have an entrepreneurial spirit, and encourage new thinking in our people.