In line with the EPO’s mission, Principal Directorate Co‑operation and Patent Academy is tasked with increasing the efficiency and quality of the European patent system and promoting the EPO’s position as the world’s leading IP office.
Directorate Patent Academy and EQE, one of three directorates within the principal directorate, co‑ordinates the EPO’s external training activities. The directorate is responsible for designing and implementing activities that improve access to patent education and strengthen the European patent system and network, broadening their impact and ensuring that the European innovation sector has a strong position at a global level. This is done in close co‑operation with the relevant departments within the EPO and a broad group of stakeholders, including national offices, professional associations, academia, businesses and the judiciary.
We are looking for an educational programme manager in the area of patent litigation and enforcement who will boost the implementation of the Blueprint for the European Patent Academy, an open and structured framework to design and implement training based on a set of harmonised educational activities and formats. The successful candidate will work with judges, lawyers and European patent attorneys, notably in the implementation of the EPO’s training regarding the unitary patent / Unified Patent Court and cross-border patent enforcement training.
With us you will:
- design, implement and provide follow-up support on educational programmes targeting judges, lawyers and European patent attorneys
- steer and monitor the development of new e-learning materials, tools and activities
- supervise, co-ordinate and implement e-learning courses
- support the implementation of the training strategy for certification
- provide strategic, expert and operational support to the Director Patent Academy and EQE regarding patent litigation and enforcement training
- provide education performance analysis, monitor project implementation and report to the EPO governing bodies on the activities conducted in the area of patent litigation and enforcement
Apply if you have:
- experience in co‑ordinating and implementing IP educational programmes
- experience in designing and implementing online teaching programmes
- experience in setting up conferences and large events involving professional associations in the area of IP
- advanced expertise in academic legal research in the area of European IP law
- experience in IP litigation or litigation knowledge, notably on the UP/UPC (would be a valuable asset)
- knowledge of IP-related education accreditation frameworks, as well as European IP research and education networks
- experience with training programmes and institutions; judiciary schools, professional associations and bar associations (advantageous)
- experience as a project manager delivering educational products
- good analytical and drafting skills
- very good knowledge of English and good working knowledge of the other two EPO official languages; other language skills would also be considered an asset
- strong communication and influencing skills (both oral and written)
- a fully completed law degree plus a master’s degree or PhD in the IP domain
- experience in the domain of patent litigation and enforcement
- Diploma of completed studies at master’s level or – in exceptional cases – equivalent professional experience.
- Generally, an excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language (English, French and German) and the ability to understand the other two. In exceptional cases, excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language and working knowledge (at least B2) of another. In such cases, the willingness to learn the third language and to reach level B2 within a set time frame would be required.
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation.
The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and relevant experience, supplemented as appropriate by interviews, tests and/or a personality questionnaire.
Job group: 4
Grade: G7 to G10 (net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 5 910 to 8 380, depending on experience)
Duration of appointment: 5 years
Career path: Technical
Application deadline: 25.02.2022
Interviews planned for: 14-16.03.2022
* after deduction of EPO-internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social security and pension schemes.