You will need to feel comfortable going to networking events to promote our services. Internally, you will need to be a collaborative individual who enjoys working as part of the Appleyard Lees team. There is considerable opportunity to expand several areas of our pharmaceutical and chemical practice – polymers, catalysis, battery technology, industrial processing, materials, coatings and novel compounds and compositions for industrial and healthcare applications – and experience in these areas would be advantageous.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- Qualified attorney with 1 to 3 years PQE
- Management of a broad spectrum of chemical and/or pharmaceutical work
- Strong academic background in chemistry and/or pharmaceuticals
- Demonstrated experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications within the chemical field
- Proficiency in business development and networking
- Good communicator -written and oral
- Commitment to meeting client expectations
- An interest in practising and learning how to coach, guide and mentor trainees
We pride ourselves on being small and friendly enough for you to get to know everyone – but big enough to offer you great career prospects. We will assign you with a mentor who will be able to provide professional and personal support throughout your training contract. Providing people with a mentor is a critical part of enabling development and knowing if individuals are ‘on track’ in terms of their career path and progression, it also helps with improving knowledge and skills.
Aside from this, we will fund all of your training including memberships, exams, courses and conferences. We also encourage our technical teams to write articles for our Greenshoots platform and take part in podcasts.
Other benefits we offer include:
- 34 hour working week
- Agile working – 2 days in the office
- Annual salary review
- 25 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Life assurance
- Healthcare cash plan
- Social outings – summer parties, AL Junior events, Christmas party and more
- A voucher on your birthday
- Charity events – games nights and fuddles
- A friendly and inclusive place to work and learn
About Appleyard Lees
Appleyard Lees is a leading intellectual property law firm with over fifty patent and trade mark attorneys and litigators across offices in Halifax, Leeds, Manchester, and Cambridge.
We provide a full range of intellectual property (IP) services covering patents, trade marks, designs and copyright in the UK, Europe and worldwide. We use our technical and legal skills, and many years of experience, to identify and protect IP assets and to uncover and eliminate the risks posed by other people’s IP rights.
Our clients include some of the world’s most exciting innovators, largest companies, and household names, with a number of clients obtaining Fortune 500, Fortune Global 2000, FTSE 100, FTSE 250, and Forbes Global 2000 status. Our clients operate across a diverse collection of industries, including chemicals, retail, consumer goods, electronics, software, bio and life sciences, pharmaceuticals, metals, and heavy industry, higher education, and hospitality, leisure, and tourism.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) has always been part of the core values of Appleyard Lees. To us, diversity is not just a box-ticking exercise, it is a core part of our firm’s values . Diversity of people means diversity of ideas and perspectives, and these allow us to be more creative and flexible as a business.