Kent Law School, at the University of Kent, is a leading UK law school with recognised excellence in teaching and legal research. Our distinctive critical approach views the law within the broader social, political and economic contexts in which it operates.
The Kent LLM: our innovative Master’s in Law
Students come from all over the world to study our innovative Kent LLM, a taught Master’s in Law degree with an international and contemporary focus. The Kent LLM offers an open choice of modules and pathway enabling you to tailor your LLM study to suit your needs and interests. Your specialism is left open until you arrive and is determined by the modules you choose. You can choose to develop in-depth expertise by studying one or two specialised subject pathways or study for a general Kent LLM with no specialist pathway.
Our critical, research-led approach to teaching makes the study of law more interesting and develops crucial skills and abilities required for a career in legal practice. You learn within a supportive, cosmopolitan, and intellectually stimulating environment. You study full-time or part-time and can begin your studies in either September or January.
Our national and global reputation
Kent Law School is ranked 8th for research intensity in the UK’s most recent Research Excellence Framework and we have a top 20 ranking in three key national league tables for law; 16th in The Guardian University Guide 2020, 17th in The Times Good University Guide 2020 and 18th in The Complete University Guide 2020. The Law School also has an excellent global reputation for law – ranked 51st in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020.
Our LLM pathway in Intellectual Property Law
Our LLM pathway in IP law offers students from any discipline the opportunity to explore inventive legal responses to a broad range of exciting and creative practices in the arts and sciences:
- You’ll interrogate who owns (and has access to) software, computer, music, medicines, data, platforms, AI systems, fashion
- You’ll understand how intellectual property (copyright, patents, brands, designs) drives and shapes contemporary economy and culture
- You’ll acquire the necessary specialist knowledge in law and its conceptual and historical contexts to know why and how intellectual property has developed and how it works.
This pathway is ideal for you if you’re interested in practising intellectual property law or working in the creative industries. It will also give you an excellent intellectual foundation for pursuing a research degree in this field. As an LLM graduate, you’ll be equipped with an exceptional degree of in-depth knowledge and expertise required to pursue a professional or academic career in this fast-moving and important field.
Why study your LLM in intellectual property law at Kent?
- You’ll benefit from a distinctively contextual approach which delineates the history, materialisations and practices of IP law and analyses its conceptual foundations
- You’ll be introduced to critical, practical and historical approaches to the framing and studying of IP in law and society (a contextual and conceptually informed approach which is unique amongst UK and international postgraduate degree programmes!)
- You’ll be taught by internationally distinguished academic specialists who cover a large and diverse range of intellectual property subjects within and beyond the field.
Multi-million-pound scholarship fund
The University of Kent has a multi-million-pound scholarship fund to support our postgraduates. We offer a range of financial support options, including scholarships, bursaries and loans, and can offer advice on alternative and external funding options available to you.