University of Aberdeen School of Law
One of four “ancient” universities of Scotland, Law was taught at the University of Aberdeen when it was founded in 1495.
Nowadays, the School of Law prides itself in delivering high quality, engaging and academically challenging programmes. Our learning environment is one of support and personal development leading to well-rounded, highly employable graduates.
LLM Intellectual Property Law
This programme offers an opportunity for students to explore a range of fascinating and multi-faceted legal and societal questions across the globe, examining the benefits and challenges within corporate and economic frameworks whilst gaining expertise in an area that is extremely valuable to businesses.
Closely aligned to this constantly evolving field, this LLM explores the key issues of control and reward in innovation and society, and focuses on areas such as literature and trademarks, brands, health and media, and new information technologies including 3D printing. This degree has start dates in September and January each year.
Tailor Your Degree
We offer two distinct pathways within this degree programme, enabling you to tailor your degree depending on your own individual interests and career aspirations. Our traditional dissertation route is ideally suited to those who wish to research a specific area of law.
We also offer a Professional Skills route, an innovative practical alternative that and adds real-world relevance to your C.V. and allows you to build networks upon which to base your future career. There are three pathways to choose from: legal practice, commercial, or activist and policy making.
With our LLM Intellectual Property Law, you will gain transferrable skills and advanced knowledge suited not only to the legal profession but also to a range of other sectors. A degree in IPL from Aberdeen could lead you to a career in law, journalism and media, international policymaking, activism, or with multinational corporations.
The University of Aberdeen is renowned for attracting world-class teaching staff, unrivalled in their breadth of knowledge and experienced in their specialist subjects. On this programme you will have access to first rate teaching from professors and lecturers with expertise in Technology and Innovation Law, Trademark Law, Media Law, Laws relating to Personality Rights, Copyright, Plant Variety Protection and Geographical Indications, among others.
Centre for Commercial Law
Launched in 2018, the University of Aberdeen’s Centre for Commercial Law is a dynamic hub for law academics, legal practitioners, those working in related professions, industry representatives, activists and policymakers. Intellectual Property and Technology Law is one of four themes within the Centre.
Why Study with Us?
By joining us you will:
- Receive a first-class learning experience from a School of Law that has been creating the next generation of outstanding professionals since 1495.
- Study at a Law School ranked 6th in the UK by the Complete University Guide 2021.
- Benefit from the experiences of international students from all over the world – there are over 40 nationalities within the School of Law community.
- Take advantage of small class sizes and a friendly learning community where you can access teaching staff whenever you need.
- Explore the laws relating to rewarding innovation and creativity, and their impact on society as a whole.
- Gain a degree in a challenging and stimulating subject that will enable you to engage with a future that lies in innovation and effective branding.