A. A. Thornton & Co. is a thriving and progressive firm of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys with offices in Central London and Northampton. We are ranked by Legal 500 as one of the very best Patent practices in the UK. We pride ourselves on our high standards of professional service and our focus on each client’s particular business needs. We also have very positive working relationships throughout the firm.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a graduate to join our Engineering, Physics and Mechanical Devices Patent Department in London and train with us for a career as a UK and European Patent Attorney.
Duties as a trainee will include:
- Working with a Partner and other attorneys in the firm’s Engineering, Physics and Mechanical Devices Patent Department and providing them with technical support in relation to inventions (principally inventions in the mechanical engineering field).
- Reading and critically analysing technical documents, such as published patent specifications and inventor reports on new inventions.
- Summarising, either verbally or in writing, critical analysis undertaken in respect of technical documents and, on the basis of this analysis, formulating arguments with an attorney for responding to objections to patentability raised by a Patent Office or third party or for attacking the patentability of a third party’s invention.
The Person / Qualifications
Successful candidates will have a background in mechanical engineering or physics, including a degree in Engineering (ideally Mechanical, Aeronautical or Civil), Physics or a similar subject. Related practical experience would be ideal, but is not essential. Experience within the Patent profession is also not essential; many of our attorneys joined us straight from university.
The key qualities we are seeking from a trainee are:
- An ability to analyse and accurately summarise technical documents in the electrical engineering field
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- The ability to work on one’s own as well as part of a team
- An appetite for working hard and being an integral part of a highly-qualified team
- Well organised and reliable
- A commitment to professional and career development
In order to deliver a focused client service, it is important that the individuals we employ are dynamic, pro-active and confident in contributing ideas, creating solutions and seeing them through. If you have the qualities we are looking for then we want you to join our busy Engineering, Physics and Mechanical Devices Patent Department.
What will you find at A. A. Thornton & Co?
The successful trainee will be assigned to a Partner who will supervise training. Trainees receive a broad range of work, which encompasses a variety of technical areas, providing a challenging and intellectually-stimulating career. The firm actively encourages trainees through both in-house training and external courses and lectures whilst being supported to qualify as both a Chartered Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney.
We have an enviable client list and very strong client relationships, highly acclaimed and experienced attorneys, and an excellent working environment in our offices at 10 Old Bailey in central London. We are committed to recruiting the very best talent and providing training to nurture that talent. At A.A. Thornton & Co. it is our people that make the difference. Visit our website, to find out what our clients our saying about us and meet our team of attorneys.
To apply, please email a copy of your CV and covering letter. Details found at the top of this advert.