We are looking to recruit a Patent Records Administrator on a permanent basis. The Patent Records Administrator will report to the Patent Records Supervisor and work closely with the Change Transformation Team. In addition to the day-to-day duties listed below, the post holder will also work closely with the Assistant Formalities Manager to identify, document, and implement process improvements in the Records team.
The role provides an excellent opportunity for an experienced records clerk looking to progress in their career and take on more responsibility.
To be considered for this role:
- You must have at least 5 years’ experience of patent formalities
- Must be well organised, have excellent attention to detail, strong written and verbal communication skills, have the ability to multi-task in a busy environment and be able to thrive in a collaborative setting
The Records Administrator reports to the Patent Records Supervisor and will work closely with the Transformation Team. In addition to the day to day duties listed below, the post holder will also work closely with the Assistant Formalities Manager to identify, document, and implement process improvements in the Records team. The team is primarily responsible for booking new cases; checking, diarying and forwarding incoming correspondence; updating the Inprotech database (case updates, deadlines, etc); maintaining the Patent due date diary; domestic filing and abandonments.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Complete the daily critical list process including chasing Fee Earners to ensure all patent deadlines are met.
- Processing and distribution of incoming correspondence (email, post, fax); diarying any applicable due dates, amending Inprotech as necessary and taking any other necessary action.
- Clearing deadlines on Inprotech via the approved process.
- Entering new patent cases into the records system (Inprotech).
- General updating of Inprotech records system as required, including but not limited to recording changes of name, assignments, references and other record changes.
- Providing information to Fee Earners for onward reporting to clients, for example schedules or client specific due date reports.
- Entering publication details (including diarying appropriate due dates) and reporting to clients.
- Actioning and maintaining Record’s Inprotech reminders program.
- Abandoning pending patent records as instructed by fee earners.
- Processing of bespoke reports (e.g to ensure data quality, or client specific reports).
- Deal with any queries e.g last day lists that are received from Partners, Technical Assistants or Secretarial staff.
New filings / Document Filing / Fees
- Checking, logging and filing of new filings online.
- Checking of applicable document fees and ensuring payment.
- Checking of filing receipts, entering filing details, checking all details / forms and completing or diarying subsequent post filing due dates on Inprotech.
- Ensuring safe storage and monitoring of EP 3rd year renewal fee instructions and ensuring timely payment of the same, updating Inprotech.Miscellaneous Translations
- Obtaining and providing translations on request.
- Assist with training as and where required.
- General office duties with regard to patents.
- Liaising with Partners and other Fee Earners and departments as necessary.
- Inprotech IP records system
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Online Filing Portals(Eg EP OLF)
- iManage (implementation underway)
This role would suit a candidate with the below specification:
The position would suit a candidate with a minimum of 5 years’ experience of Patent formalities. Experience will include: -Booking new property cases.
- Processing correspondence, identifying & entering legal deadlines.
- The following Inprotech experience:
- Updating cases / portfolios
- Global / bulk changes
- Creation of new names
- Deadline management
- Case abandonment
- Bespoke reports
The following experience will be an advantage but is not essential:
- Reviewing and suggesting improvements to records related processes.
- Creation of user guides.
- Assisting with training team members with new processes.
- Supporting the implementation of new processes.
- Proactive outlook and good use of initiative.
- Methodical approach, attention to detail & ability to prioritise.
- Excellent communication skills.
Statement: This job description is issued as a guideline to assist you in your duties, it is not exhaustive and we would be pleased to discuss any constructive comments you may have. Because of the evolving nature and changing demands of our business, this job description may be subject to change and does not form part of the contract of employment. You may, on occasions, be required to undertake additional or other duties within the context of this job description, and according to the needs of the firm.
About Reddie & Grose LLP
Reddie & Grose is recognised as a leading patent and trade mark firm.
Our attorneys handle the full range of IP rights including patents, trade marks, and registered designs. We also handle the protection of plant variety rights. Within these areas we handle drafting, filing, prosecution, opposition, enforcement, defence and dispute resolution in general. We also advise on IP strategy and are able to offer support in due diligence and other aspects of corporate transactions handled by our law firm colleagues.
We understand work-life challenges and are sensitive to how work can impact your personal life. We respect this and will always encourage a good work-life balance. Our workplace is one where fairness, respect, equality and dignity are promoted and are part of the firm’s everyday goals and behaviour. There is a welcoming culture where we recognise that the different backgrounds, values, attitudes, skills and experience of our staff means they bring a unique perspective to work issues.
Training at Reddie & Grose
Reddie & Grose has an excellent reputation for training and we pride ourselves on the training we provide across all areas of the firm.
- 26 days annual leave plus all bank and public holidays
- Remote home working (40% office / 60% working from home)
- Discretionary Christmas bonus
- Private Pension Scheme (with optional salary sacrifice)
- Group Life Assurance (3 x salary)
- Family Friendly Policies
- Cycle to work scheme (salary sacrifice scheme)
- Eye care vouchers
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Employee Benefits Platform
- Active social events calendar
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Private medical scheme
- Access to cycle store and shower facilities
- Positive culture for work-life balance
- Daily delivery of fresh fruit