About the Role
To protect the business interests of HGF’s clients by providing comprehensive professional advice and assistance in the field of trade marks and related rights to a range of clients from large corporate and multi-national companies to SMEs and sole enterprises.
- Discussing trade marks and designs with clients and ascertaining whether they are likely to succeed in being granted/registered;
- Advising on chances of success and likely legal costs;
- Drafting trade mark and design applications to make a suitably broad claim for monopoly protection;
- Providing updates on the application process;
- Advising on the infringement and enforcement of trade mark and design rights;
- Advising on whether business activities will infringe someone else’s trade mark or design rights.
Providing Legal Protection
- Working, where necessary, with solicitors, barristers and overseas lawyers to defend or enforce UK, EU and international trade mark and design rights;
- Mounting challenges to perceived infringements;
- Supporting or conducting contentious proceedings at the UKIPO, or in the High Court, including IPEC.
Developing a Client Base
- Working with the Head of the Trade Mark Group, Leeds Trade Mark Partners and Directors, Senior Trade Mark Attorneys and the Business Development team to identify marketing opportunities;
- Attending and contributing to relevant conferences and client events;
- Extending the levels of billable business with existing clients;
- Obtaining new clients, initially with support and ultimately with little support from others.
Maintaining Professional Skill Levels
- Keeping up to date with legal developments in the intellectual property field;
- Studying for and obtaining the professional trade mark attorney qualifications.
- Previous exposure to working with trade marks an advantage, this could include in a TM Formalities capacity
- Alternatively you will hold a minimum 2:1 degree in a relevant discipline, including but not limited to; Law, Sciences, Languages, English;
- Ability to express complex technical ideas clearly and concisely;
- An eye for detail and accuracy;
- Ability to structure a precise, coherent argument;
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral;
- Confidence, tenacity and persuasiveness;
- Willingness to get to grips with legal and commercial arguments;
- Ability to develop successful working relationships with a wide variety of people;
- Ability to work alone without constant supervision;
- Ability to research and collate information;
- Ability to prioritise workload;
- Readiness to take responsibility;
- Readiness to take on board feedback for improvement;
- Proactive approach to tasks and problem solving;
- Confidence and personal credibility to represent the firm to existing and potential clients;
- Commercial acumen to develop business from existing clients and to gain new clients;
- Motivation to study effectively in own time;
- Willingness to learn.
HGF Limited is one of Europe’s largest intellectual property specialist firms and one of only a few to offer a fully integrated IP solution, bringing over 200 Patent Attorneys, Trade Mark Attorneys and IP Solicitors together to provide a full-service IP solution.
With 21 offices across the UK, Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland & Austria, HGF’s Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys provide specialist technical and legal advice to blue chip organisations and small to medium businesses across the world. Many of our clients are household names and the work HGF does allows them to protect and exploit their inventions, new products and branding.
HGF is committed to promoting an equal, diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all candidates with relevant skills for the role.
If the above sounds like the opportunity for you, please apply by sending your CV and a covering letter which outlines why you would like to pursue a career as a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney and how your skills fit this role.
- People – People matter. We treat people fairly, with respect and compassion. We foster a friendly, inclusive and enjoyable culture for everyone to prosper in. We invest in our people and offer appropriate coaching and training to assist with development and learning. We promote a healthy work-life balance. Progression is based on merit.
- Excellence – We strive to be the best. We pursue excellence in all our individual roles resulting in outstanding legal and technical advice for our clients. Our people are pragmatic, responsive and commercially minded. We do not presume but listen to understand so we can engage proactively and appropriately.
- Teamwork – We stand together. We work with our clients to protect their interests, and with each other as a mutually supporting firm. We value, appreciate and listen to others, regardless of role, recognising each individual’s particular blend of talent, skill and experience. We are individually and jointly accountable and take responsibility for our actions and decisions.
- Progressive – We innovate. We continually improve our services and processes through understanding, creativity, and investment. We evolve by taking opportunities and adopting new business procedures, unencumbered by historical structures or out-of-date attitudes. As a firm, we have an entrepreneurial spirit, and encourage new thinking in our people.