To protect the business interests of HGF’s clients by providing comprehensive professional advice and assistance in the field of trade mark law and related rights to a range of clients from large corporate and multinational companies to SMEs and sole enterprises. In addition to this you will play a key role in developing business within both existing and new clients in line with the continued growth of the trade mark team.
- Discussing trade marks and designs with clients and ascertaining whether they are likely to succeed in being granted a trade mark;
- Advising on chances of success and likely legal costs;
- Suggesting modifications or extensions to the trade mark to make suitably broad claims for monopoly protection;
- Providing updates on the application process;
- Advising on the infringement and enforcement of trade mark rights;
- Advising on whether business activities will infringe someone else’s trade mark rights
Providing Legal Protection
- Working where necessary with solicitors and barristers to defend or enforce UK, EU and international trade marks;
- Mounting challenges to perceived infringements;
- Supporting disputes at the UKIPO, EUIPO or High Court (including IPEC)
Developing a Client Base
- Working with the Head of the Trade Mark Group and the London Trade Mark Partners to identify marketing opportunities;
- Attending and contributing to relevant conferences and client events;
- Extending the levels of billable business with existing clients;
- Obtaining new clients, initially with support and ultimately with little support from others;
Maintaining Professional Skill Levels
- Keeping up to date with legal developments in the intellectual property field;
- Keeping up to date with technical developments in the relevant discipline;
- Maintaining an up to date professional training certification;
- Around 2 years’ post-qualified experience as a UK qualified Trade Mark Attorney, although for the right candidate the number of years PQE can be varied;
- Confidence and personal credibility to represent the firm to existing and potential clients;
- Commercial acumen to develop business from existing and to gain new clients;
- Comfortable working within a team and managing workflow with the Formalities/Paralegal team;
- Ability to express complex technical ideas clearly and concisely;
- An eye for detail;
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral;
- Confidence, tenacity and persuasiveness;
- Ability to develop successful working relationships with a wide variety of people;
- Readiness to take responsibility;
- Proactive approach to tasks and problem solving;
Highly competitive salary plus bonus and excellent benefits including pension, private healthcare, private dental care, 25 days holiday and a holiday purchase scheme.
HGF Limited is one of Europe’s largest intellectual property specialist firms and one of only a few to offer a fully integrated IP solution, bringing over 170 Patent Attorneys, Trade Mark Attorneys and IP Solicitors together to provide a full-service IP solution.
We are a thriving firm with an outstanding reputation for quality of service and initiative in meeting client needs. HGF believes it achieves this by attracting and retaining the best people to deliver exceptional service to our customers.
With 13 offices across the UK & Ireland and 3 offices in mainland Europe, HGF’s Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys provide specialist technical and legal advice to blue chip organisations and small to medium businesses across the world. Many of our clients are household names and the work HGF does allows them to protect and exploit their inventions, new products and branding.