If you are thinking of a career as a patent attorney and possess a minimum of a 2:1 Degree in electronics or electrical engineering, then we want to hear from you. For more information about joining HLK in September 2021 read on.
Who are we?
We are an IP powerhouse comprising over 200 people in 7 locations, providing a full suite of IP services advising across the globe and in all technical and scientific disciplines. Our people are at the heart of everything we do. Our business ethos is all about great client service and we can only deliver that by being a great employer.
What exactly do patent attorneys do?
We secure intellectual property rights for prominent companies as well as highly creative start-up businesses. Our clients include many well-known household and industrial names and are at the forefront of technological development in the electronics, engineering, chemical and biotechnology sectors.
At the core of the job is the preparation of patent applications on behalf of clients. This involves understanding an invention, distilling it down to its key features and then writing a very clear and broad-based description of it, such that a Patent Examiner will be persuaded to grant a patent. Around that core skill, a Patent Attorney will be called upon to advise clients on all aspects of patent procedures, on international patent protection and on effective patent strategies.
What makes a good patent attorney?
- A strong electrical engineering or another electronics background to at least 2:1 degree level.
- An interest in and enthusiasm for science and technology.
- Good communication skills that can be adapted for clients from a wide variety of educational and commercial backgrounds.
- The ability to make confident judgement calls based on information provided
- A good eye for detail and accuracy.
What makes this an interesting career?
- The opportunity to apply your science or engineering degree to a wide cross-section of clients and technologies.
- Continuing intellectual challenge – you never stop learning.
- Excellent career opportunities and financial rewards.
- The international aspects of work providing ample opportunity to travel.