Carpmaels & Ransford are a leading European intellectual property law firm. Through our passionate and award-winning team of life scientists, engineers and regulatory experts, we advise some of the world’s leading healthcare companies.
We were awarded Patent Prosecution Firm of the Year at the 2023 Managing IP EMEA Awards and were also awarded Patent Contentious Firm of the Year and Impact Case of the Year at the 2022 Awards. We are consistently ranked as a top-tier firm by industry directories.
We hire talented and passionate people who think creatively and enjoy a challenge. Working collaboratively, we share our knowledge and experience across teams, actively learning from each other in a friendly and sociable environment.
As a firm, we’re passionate about creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. Diversity of thought is vital to our business; it’s how we approach challenges differently and offer our clients creative and original solutions. Through our work with organisations such as IP Inclusive, Stonewall and Business in the Community via the Race at Work Charter, we are putting the right steps in place to make sure that all our people feel supported and empowered to be themselves.
A healthy work/life balance is very important to us and we run regular wellbeing events in addition to the large number of clubs and social activities that are available to everyone at the firm. We are also enthusiastic supporters of our local community through partnerships with the Social Mobility Foundation and Holborn Community Association.
The Biotech team
The Biotech team supports some of the world’s leading biotechnology companies across the full spectrum of biotechnologies from diagnostics to therapeutics including platform and manufacturing technologies. We’re chosen by industry leaders for our deep sector expertise and unrivalled track record. Our work is commercially focussed, and most is contentious in nature. We are regularly instructed in multi-party oppositions, appeals and litigation support.
Who we are looking for
We have ongoing opportunities for exceptional part-qualified or qualified patent attorneys to join our Biotech team. We embrace diversity and would like to hear from talented and passionate individuals from a wide range of backgrounds. You enjoy thinking strategically and working collaboratively and are passionate about using your technical excellence to deliver a first-class service to our clients.
Suitable candidates will ideally have
- Part or full qualification in the UK and EQE exams.
- Experience of and willingness to work in a broad spectrum of biotechnology work.
- Experience of drafting, filing and prosecuting EPO and PCT applications.
- Experience of filing and prosecution of EPO applications involving biotechnological subject matter, including a familiarity with sequence listings and deposit requirements.
- An excellent academic background ideally with an emphasis on biochemistry, immunology, molecular biology, or genetic engineering.
- An appreciation of how IP and regulatory data protection impact the life cycle of a product.
- An excellent command of both written and spoken English.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- An innate interest in the world of business as well as the IP profession.
- A passion and aptitude for problem-solving.
- A keen eye for detail.
- An interest in coaching, guiding and mentoring trainees as appropriate.
Successful candidates will benefit from
- A variety of stimulating and challenging work in cutting edge biotechnologies, including EPO opposition and appeal work.
- A significant amount of opposition and appeal work for major bio technology companies.
- Involvement in cases that shape the law before the Technical Boards of Appeal, the Enlarged Board of Appeal, and/or the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- A collaborative and sociable team-based working environment, with a healthy approach to work//life balance.
- A meritocratic and autonomous culture, where you will be responsible for your own case-load and work for multiple partners and senior associates.
- Exceptional training for UK and EQE qualifications and beyond.
- The opportunity to work across multiple practice groups, subject to project requirements and area of expertise.
- An excellent remuneration and benefits package.
- A range of sports, clubs and charity initiatives sponsored by the firm.
We are proud of our inclusive culture where individual differences are celebrated, and we are committed to providing equal opportunities to all employees and job applicants. We do not tolerate discrimination either directly or indirectly on the basis of race, ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, gender identity or expression, religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, age, disability, pregnancy and maternity, socio economic background or any characteristic protected by law. Our approach is embodied in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy, as well as our diversity and inclusion programmes.
Please note that we do not accept speculative CVs from recruitment consultants unless specifically requested.