We are recruiting around 20 associate patent examiners in the fields of chemistry, biotechnology, electrical and electronic engineering, telecommunications engineering, computer systems engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, physics and mathematics. We are particularly interested in engineers with experience in telecommunications engineering, electrical and electronic engineering and computer systems engineering.
Patent examiners require:
- At least a 2:2 degree or equivalent in a relevant science, engineering, computer science or mathematics subject
- Or relevant industrial experience at that level
- GCSE/O-level grade C or above in Mathematics and English is also required.
Intellectual property is essential for stimulating creativity and innovation. The Intellectual Property Office (IPO) is the government agency responsible for intellectual property (IP) and we maintain a clear and accessible IP system in the UK which encourages innovation and helps the economy and society to benefit from knowledge and ideas.
Patents in particular are an important tool for stimulating innovation and growth. They grant monopoly rights of up to 20 years in return for a full disclosure of an invention.
The IPO is an inclusive employer where diversity is respected and differences valued. Our positive approach to diversity allows us to select the most suitable applicants free from bias on factors such as age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity or religion.
- Patent examining offers an unusual opportunity to combine scientific and technical expertise with legal skills.
- Successful candidates will receive comprehensive structured training and mentoring in the legal skills and knowledge required, as well as in the professional searching skills necessary for carrying out the patent examiner role.
- Patent examiners combine these legal skills and searching skills with their well-developed analytical ability and their technical knowledge to determine if the invention is new and inventive and whether the application satisfies other legal requirements.
Start dates and Salary
- The start date will be in September 2020
- The salary currently starts at £29,061
- In addition a further £4040 allowance is available for posts in telecommunications, bringing the starting salary package for these posts to £33,101
Diversity and Inclusion at the IPO
- Stonewall top 100 employer
- Top 10 in Government
- Winner of Stonewall’s Senior Champion of the Year award
- Top 10 employer for Working Families
- Business Disability Forum – Disability Confident Leader
- Silver rating for the Business in the Community race benchmark
- Higher than Public Sector average rating in Chwarae Teg’s Fairplay benchmark
- Achieved the ‘Large employer of the year’ award at the National Apprenticeship Awards 2017
In order to apply you will need to write a personal statement of up to 750 words. You will also need to complete the Associate Patent Examiner Qualification Template available on the Civil Service Jobs page and attach it to your online application. Your application will not be considered if this form is omitted.
In your personal statement you should provide evidence of the following:
- Degree-level knowledge or equivalent experience in a relevant technical field and an ability to apply that knowledge in practical situations
- The ability to understand and evaluate complex scientific and engineering information in order to reach conclusions quickly and accurately;
- The ability to express ideas clearly, both orally and in writing, with sensitivity and respect for others.
Candidates to note:
A pre-sift will be carried out by the Recruitment Team to ensure the complete application has been submitted (including the required attached qualification template).
PLEASE NOTE: Only complete applications will be seen by the panel.
We are unable to accept CV’s or qualification certificates in place of the template and your application will not be considered if this template is omitted.
- Applications close on the 6th December 2019
- Applications for this role will be sifted between 16 December 2019 and 24 January 2020.
- Interviews will take place in our Newport office and are currently scheduled to begin on 10 February 2020.
- Expected start date for successful applicants is 7th September 2020
- Location: The Office is based in Newport, South Wales
- Address: Concept House, Cardiff Road, Newport, NP10 8QQ
- Close date: 6th December 2019