We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to join our team as a Trainee Trade Mark Attorney in our Manchester/Birmingham office. You will work with our experienced Attorneys to support them in working with a range of clients in the protection of their intellectual property assets. The role encompasses a diverse range of responsibilities and requires a high level of attention to detail, commercial acumen and the ability to work to deadlines along with being able to receive and act upon feedback on your work.
What’s Involved in being a Trade Mark Attorney:
- Discussing trade marks and designs with clients and ascertaining whether they are likely to succeed in being granted/registered;
- Advising on chances of success and likely legal costs;
- Drafting trade mark and design applications to make a suitably broad claim for monopoly protection;
- Providing updates on the application process;
- Advising on the infringement and enforcement of trade mark and design rights;
- Advising on whether business activities will infringe someone else’s trade mark or design rights.
Providing Legal Protection
- Working, where necessary, with solicitors, barristers and overseas lawyers to defend or enforce UK, EU and international trade mark and design rights;
- Mounting challenges to perceived infringements;
- Supporting or conducting contentious proceedings at the UKIPO, or in the High Court, including IPEC.
Developing a Client Base
- Working with the trade mark, patents and law teams in Birmingham and Manchester and the wider national and EU trade marks team and the Business Development team to identify marketing opportunities;
- Attending and contributing to relevant conferences and client events;
- Extending the levels of billable business with existing clients;
- Obtaining new clients, initially with support and ultimately with little support from others.
Maintaining Professional Skill Levels
- Keeping up to date with legal developments in the intellectual property field;
- Studying for and obtaining the professional trade mark attorney qualifications.
- Genuine interest and passion for brands and how they work!
- You will hold a minimum 2:1 degree
- Ability to express complex technical ideas clearly and concisely;
- An eye for detail and accuracy;
- Ability to structure a precise, coherent argument;
- A team player who can work collaboratively but also under their own steam
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral;
- Confidence, tenacity and persuasiveness;
- Commercially minded and able to see the bigger picture for clients
- Ability to develop successful working relationships with a wide variety of people;
- Ability to research and collate information;
- Ability to prioritise workload;
- Readiness to take responsibility;
- Readiness to take on board feedback for improvement;
- Proactive approach to tasks and problem solving;
- Confidence and personal credibility to represent the firm to existing and potential clients;
- Motivation to study effectively in own time;
HGF Limited is one of Europe’s largest intellectual property specialist firms and one of only a few to offer a fully integrated IP solution, bringing over 200 Patent Attorneys, Trade Mark Attorneys and IP Solicitors together to provide a full-service IP solution.
With 22 offices across the UK, Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, France, Switzerland & Austria, HGF’s Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys provide specialist technical and legal advice to blue chip organisations and small to medium businesses across the world. Many of our clients are household names and the work HGF does allows them to protect and exploit their inventions, new products and branding.
HGF is committed to promoting an equal, diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all candidates with relevant skills for the role.
If the above sounds like the opportunity for you, please apply by sending your CV and a covering letter which outlines why you would like to pursue a career as a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney and how your skills fit this role.
- People – People matter. We treat people fairly, with respect and compassion. We foster a friendly, inclusive and enjoyable culture for everyone to prosper in. We invest in our people and offer appropriate coaching and training to assist with development and learning. We promote a healthy work-life balance. Progression is based on merit.
- Excellence – We strive to be the best. We pursue excellence in all our individual roles resulting in outstanding legal and technical advice for our clients. Our people are pragmatic, responsive and commercially minded. We do not presume but listen to understand so we can engage proactively and appropriately.
- Teamwork – We stand together. We work with our clients to protect their interests, and with each other as a mutually supporting firm. We value, appreciate and listen to others, regardless of role, recognising each individual’s particular blend of talent, skill and experience. We are individually and jointly accountable and take responsibility for our actions and decisions.
- Progressive – We innovate. We continually improve our services and processes through understanding, creativity, and investment. We evolve by taking opportunities and adopting new business procedures, unencumbered by historical structures or out-of-date attitudes. As a firm, we have an entrepreneurial spirit, and encourage new thinking in our people.