Curious about future innovation?
Imagine exploring every day, before almost anyone else, breakthrough developments. As a patent examiner, you have the chance to support the inventors who will shape our world, and the lives of millions of people, for years to come.
Supporting innovation, competitiveness, sustainability and economic growth: that’s our mission at the European Patent Office (EPO)
As the patent office for Europe, we are proud to deliver high-quality, efficient services that promote a safer, smarter and more sustainable world. A world in which we are committed to helping achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and the highest environmental, social and governance standards. Moreover, as an equal opportunities employer, the EPO is shaped by the diversity of our people’s personalities, knowledge and cultures. Interested in joining us?
What’s in it for you
- Gain unique insights into the latest inventions
- Work with inspiring multilingual people from a variety of cultures
- Various career development opportunities to help you realise your full potential, including as an expert or manager
- Contribute to multiple projects that help shape the future of the EPO
Who we’re looking for
We are currently seeking scientists and engineers who share our passion for innovation and wish to work at the cutting edge of technology, analysing the latest inventions in Chemical Engineering, in particular in the technical areas of:
- Chemical Engineering
What you will do as a patent examiner
- Carry out end-to-end examination of patent applications, i.e. the texts and drawings that describe an invention for which an individual or a company seeks legal protection
- Find and use the most relevant documentation to assess the patentability of the invention
- Support the entire innovation ecosystem by deciding whether a patent is to be granted
- Ensure the uniform and effective application of the European Patent Convention and other legal texts.
What we expect from you: Scientific expertise, analytical thinking, language skills
You can apply your dazzling powers of analysis to the wealth of highly technical information that you expertly retrieve from the relevant databases and other sources. When making informed decisions with confidence and clarity, you have the capacity to consider all the legal requirements and the parties’ arguments. You convey the outcome in clear and well‑reasoned communications and feel comfortable interacting with colleagues and applicants to process patent applications efficiently. You’re always keen to learn, hungry for knowledge of the latest developments in your field and eager to acquire new skills. You’re happy to work remotely but also appreciate joining your colleagues in the office to work with your team in person, network and socialise. Sound like you?
What are our minimum requirements?
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) covering one or more technical fields mentioned above
- Excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language (English, French and German) and working knowledge (at least B2) of the other two. In exceptional cases, excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language and working knowledge (at least B2) of another. In such cases, the willingness to learn the third language and to reach level B2 would be required.
- Work experience in industry would be an advantage.
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation.
An above-market social package? That’s what we offer at the EPO
- A competitive salary
- Family-friendly benefits
- Generous flexibility options allowing you to work from anywhere in the country of employment (min. onsite attendance applies) and a set number of days from any EPC member country
- Relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependants, childcare, education, expatriation, installation, rent allowance)
- Contributory medical insurance and pension schemes
- 30 days of leave per year
- Free gym access
- Social activities and clubs
Start making a difference.
Job group: 4
Grade: G7 to G10 (net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 5 900 to 8 300, depending on experience)
Duration of contract: Five years with possibility of extension
Career path: Technical
Technical Interviews estimated for: June – September 2022
Final interviews planned for: June – October 2022
* after deduction of EPO-internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social security and pension schemes. The salary level depends on experience.