Carpmaels & Ransford are a leading European intellectual property law firm. Through our passionate and award-winning team of life scientists, engineers and regulatory experts, we advise some of the world’s leading healthcare companies.
We were awarded Patent Prosecution Firm of the Year at the 2023 Managing IP EMEA Awards and were also awarded Patent Contentious Firm of the Year and Impact Case of the Year at the 2022 Awards. We are consistently ranked as a top-tier firm by industry directories.
We hire talented and passionate people who think creatively and enjoy a challenge. Working collaboratively, we share our knowledge and experience across teams, actively learning from each other in a friendly and sociable environment.
As a firm, we’re passionate about creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. Diversity of thought is vital to our business; it’s how we approach challenges differently and offer our clients creative and original solutions. Through our work with organisations such as IP Inclusive, Stonewall and Business in the Community via the Race at Work Charter, we are putting the right steps in place to make sure that all our people feel supported and empowered to be themselves.
A healthy work/life balance is very important to us and we run regular wellbeing events in addition to the large number of clubs and social activities that are available to everyone at the firm. We are also enthusiastic supporters of our local community through partnerships with the Social Mobility Foundation and Holborn Community Association.
What you can expect as a Legal Secretary
Reporting to the Secretarial Team Leader, this is a key role within the Dispute Resolution, Transactions and Trademark team. You will be undertaking a broad range of administrative duties, diary management, creating and amending documents, inclusive of letters, emails, and court documents. You will be required to liaise with clients and Carpmaels’ Associates when necessary.
- Primary point of contact for Fee Earners, inclusive of inbox management where appropriate.
- Diary management including arranging meetings, preparing and organising detailed travel itineraries.
- Scheduling meetings/hearings (in person and virtual) including arranging all logistics (booking room, arranging refreshments, liaising with the internal team as necessary).
- Creating and amending letters, emails, court documents, ensuring completed documents are delivered accurately and to a consistently high standard.
- Preparing invoices, including receiving unbilled WIP lists, printing job reports, checking client details, drafting billing narratives and liaising with Accounts when necessary.
- Monitoring e-workspaces when fee earners are away, dealing with files independently, where possible.
- Liaising with Records to open new cases on Inprotech.
- Daily monitoring of prompt schedules, dealing with cases independently where possible, and liaising with records to remove old prompts.
- Processing expense claims.
- Preparing standard reporting emails without instruction.
- Implementing up-to-date client special instructions.
- Photocopying, scanning, emailing correspondence and other documents and archiving.
- Team player
- Diligent and thorough
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Good working knowledge of patent procedure in main foreign countries
- Attention to detail, including spotting incorrect/incomplete information
- Knowledge of Inprotech
- Willingness to learn new skills
Key Skills & Qualifications:
- GCSE English Language and Maths or equivalent
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft office
- Experience as a Legal Secretary within a law firm Litigation department.
- Recognised secretarial qualification
We are proud of our inclusive culture where individual differences are celebrated, and we are committed to providing equal opportunities to all employees and job applicants. We do not tolerate discrimination either directly or indirectly on the basis of race, ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, gender identity or expression, religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, age, disability, pregnancy and maternity, socio economic background or any characteristic protected by law. Our approach is embodied in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy, as well as our diversity and inclusion programmes.
No speculative agency approaches please.