Our growing Physics and Engineering practice is looking for a talented individual to join our team. We are proud to work for some of the world’s most well-known and innovative tech companies, as well as start-ups, SMEs and leading academic organisations. We are looking for an individual who enjoys working with direct clients in cutting-edge research.
The team’s workload is continuing to expand. Part-qualified, nearly qualified and qualified Patent Attorneys will be considered for this role.
At Appleyard Lees, the work is very varied and rewarding. You will be able to join meetings with inventors, draft applications, be involved in due diligence and opposition work. You will need to be articulate and good at communicating, particularly in writing. Our work can sometimes be multi-disciplinary and collaborative and so you will need to work with attorneys in other disciplines. So, you will need to have good people skills and be able to work in a team.
If you are looking to qualify, you will gain real experience that is directly relevant to the professional exams you will undertake. Our trainees are given all the support they need to qualify as UK and European patent attorneys. We combine in-house exam-specific tutorials with external courses, to help our trainees to obtain the knowledge and skills they need to qualify. Trainees are also supervised on their day-to-day work by our experienced and knowledgeable attorneys.
If you are already qualified, we support you to develop further and take the next steps in your career.
At Appleyard Lees, supporting you in your development training does not stop when you have passed the exam. We offer training and continued professional development at all levels of your career. We have bespoke in- house training and development programmes, not only for trainees, but also qualified attorneys.
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- Degree qualified in Physics or Engineering.
- Part-qualification in the UK and EQE exams through to 3 years of post-qualification experience.
- Management of a broad spectrum of physics and/or engineering work.
- Experience in drafting, filing and prosecuting EPO and PCT applications.
- An understanding of EPO opposition and appeal procedure, and preferably some experience of contentious oral proceedings, although not necessarily in a speaking role.
- Ability to take on large amounts of information and think logically.
- Commitment to meeting client expectations.
- Good communicator both written and verbally with the ability to communicate at all levels.
We pride ourselves on being small and friendly enough for you to get to know everyone – but big enough to offer you great career prospects. We will assign you with a mentor who will be able to provide professional and personal support throughout your training contract. Providing people with a mentor is a critical part of enabling development and knowing if individuals are ‘on track’ in terms of their career path and progression, it also helps with improving knowledge and skills.
Aside from this, we will fund all of your training including memberships, exams, courses and conferences. We also encourage our technical teams to write articles for our Greenshoots platform and take part in podcasts.
Other benefits we offer include:
- 34 hour working week
- Agile working – 2 days in the office
- Annual salary review
- 25 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Life assurance
- Healthcare cash plan
- Social outings – summer parties, AL Junior events, Christmas party and more
- A voucher on your birthday
- Charity events – games nights and fuddles
- A friendly and inclusive place to work and learn
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) has always been part of the core values of Appleyard Lees. To us, diversity is not just a box-ticking exercise, it is a core part of our firm’s values . Diversity of people means diversity of ideas and perspectives, and these allow us to be more creative and flexible as a business.
We welcome the unique contribution that a diverse workforce will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.